Domestic abuse

Domestic abuse can affect anyone. 

Domestic abuse refers to threats, violence or abuse between people (aged 16 or over) who have (or have had in the past) a relationship. This can include family members.

It can take different forms:

  • Physical abuse: Pushing, hitting, punching, kicking, choking
  • Sexual abuse: Forcing or pressuring someone to have sex (rape), unwanted sexual activity
  • Financial abuse: Taking money, controlling finances, not letting someone work
  • Emotional/psychological abuse: Coercive and controlling behaviour, gaslighting (mind games), use of harsh/insulting language

If you feel you may be a victim of domestic abuse, you are not to blame and you are not alone. You can contact the support services to the right of this page for help and advice. 

Child and Adolescent to Parent Violence and Abuse

If it is a child/adolescent who is conducting the abusive behaviour, there is still support out there for you. You are not alone. 


Reporting Domestic Abuse

If you want to report to the Police, you can call 101, attend your local police station or report online. If it is an emergency or you are in danger, please call 999.

Police officers will speak to you away from the person responsible and take action to protect you and any children from further harm. They will keep you up to date through any investigation with a dedicated phone number. 

Police may decide to serve a Domestic Violence Protection Order. This means that a perpetrator can be 'banned' from returning to the home and having contact with you for up to 28 days.


Applying for a court order

If you are currently experiencing domestic abuse, you can apply for a court order to protect you and any children from harm (non-molestation order), or an injunction to decide who can stay in the family home (occupation order).

A Non Molestation Order (NMO) is issued to prohibit an abuser from threatening physical violence, intimidating, harassing or communicating with the victim. It can be applied for in an emergency and can be granted for up to 28 days. It is a criminal offence if the NMO is broken, and you should report this to the Police. 

A Occupation Order states who can live in a property as well as enter the surrounding area. You don't need to be the lead tenant or own the property to obtain an occupation order. The order will be made based on the individual circumstances. 

You can find out how to apply for an order, and what happens after on the website. There are also services that will help you apply for them. Use the search bar at the top to find one available to you. 


Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme (Clare's Law)

The Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme is often called Clare's Law after the case that led to it.

This scheme allows you to apply for information about your current or ex-partner because you think you may be at risk. 

You can also request information under the Scheme about the current or ex-partner of a friend or relative of yours, if you believe they may be at risk.

Once an application is made, police and partner agencies will carry out a range of checks to reveal any records of abusive offences or any records of any risk of violence or abuse. They will then consider which information to share with you. 

Any disclosure of information will be made to you in person. 

You can make an application under the Scheme here.



A refuge offers a safe, secure and supportive environment for those fleeing domestic abuse. The specialist domestic abuse support services to the right of this page will be able to help refer you to one or you can call the 24 hour National Domestic Abuse Helpline on 0808 2000 247.


If there is a risk of someone else looking on your device, please remember to delete your history. You can find guides on how to do that in our cookies and keeping safe online section.

We have also pulled together a short guide on how to search the web in a private browsing mode. This will allow you to browse without saving any history, cookies or passwords. 

Leave site now