Who should I tell if I think I am being harassed?

It is a criminal offence in England and Wales for someone to harass you or put you in fear of violence. You can therefore report to the Police by calling 101 (999 if it’s an emergency), reporting online or going to your local station.

What evidence would be expected of me if I reported to the police?

If there are any telephone calls or conversations, you can keep note of the time, date and what was said. Any letters, messages or voicemails can be saved.

I think I’m being harassed because of who I am, what should I do?

If you believe the reason you’re being harassed is because of your race, religion, disability, gender identify or sexual orientation then this could be a hate crime. You can report this to the police and you can get additional support from specialist hate crime support services.

What civil action can I take?

You can take action in the civil courts against the person harassing you. You need to do this within 6 years of when the harassment happened. You can still take civil action even if the person harassing you hasn’t been found guilty of a criminal offence.

You can apply to the court for an order that the person must stop their behaviour, and you can also ask for compensation if you’ve suffered financial or emotional loss.

Leave site now