Stalking can consist of any type of behaviour that is persistent, unwanted and causes fear, distress or anxiety.

Anyone can become a victim of stalking and the stalker can be someone you know or a stranger. Even if you know/knew the stalker, it is not your fault. Stalking and harassment is something that no one should have to experience.

In the age of digital communication and social media, cyberstalking is often used as a extension of 'offline' stalking. However, it can also be done by itself. Cyberstalking should be treated as seriously as 'offline' stalking.

What can you do?


Support is available to you, whether you report it to the Police or not. There are specialist stalking support services that you can contact and get advice, information and support from. You can find them here.


If you want to report it to the Police, you can do this by calling 101, attending your local police station or reporting it online here.

Remember, if you are in danger or if it is an emergency please call 999.


You can also take foward action through civil law courts by obtaining an injunction. This is an order from a court that the person stops doing the acts that amount to stalking or harassment.

If the stalker breachers the injunction (does something the court has ordered him/her not to do), this can be a criminal offence (and therefore can be arrested by Police) or they can be in contempt of court (you can then apply to civil court for them to be imprisoned).

You do have to pay for civil proceedings, including court costs and the cost of any lawyer you instruct.