During the investigation

After you've reported a crime, the police will carry out an 'investigative assessment'. This is where they review all of the information they have gathered and decide whether to investigate your report further. This decision is based on three key factors:

- Severity of the offence

- Likelihood it can be solved

- Resources needed to investigate it.

Once a decision has been made whether to investigate the report further, an officer will contact you to explain and offer any advice, if needed.

If they decide to look into the case further, an investigating officer will be assigned to you. They will act as your single point of contact during the investigation, answering any questions and keeping you updated.

Investigations can take a long time and some crimes are never solved. Find out how long the average criminal case takes.


The police might give some information about the crime to news reporters to help with the investigation. They'll normally ask your permission before they do this. If you've been the victim of a sexual offence like assault or rape, it's against the law for anyone to publish your name, photo or anything else that could identify you.

The outcome of the investigation

The police will let you know within 5 working days of the suspect being:

  • arrested
  • charged
  • released without charge
  • released on bail
  • given a caution, reprimand, final warning or penalty notice

You will get this information within 1 working day if you've been the victim of a serious crime, have been repeatedly targeted, or are intimidated or vulnerable, e.g. aged under 18. If a suspect is released without charge or given a caution, reprimand, final warning or penalty notice, your case won't go to court. You can still get support if you need it. Use the A-Z of services at the top of the page to search.

The decision to take a case to court

When the police finish their investigation they may pass the information to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS). The police or CPS will decide whether to take the case to court. If they later decide to drop or alter your case, you should be told the reasons why within 5 working days.

If you're unhappy with a decision made by the CPS you can ask for it to be reviewed through the Victims' Right to Review scheme.

Will you have to go to court?

Your case won't go to trial if the defendant pleads guilty at their court hearing. If the defendant pleads not guilty and you witnessed the crime, you are likely to be called to give evidence. You can ask for extra help in court to give the best evidence.
Find out more about how courts work.

Who can help me?


To make a counselling referral: 01243 786349
Freephone Helpline: 0808 802 0808
Text Helpline: 07717 989 022

Home-Start East Sussex

01273 612025; Freedom Coordinator 07505 426 118