Giving evidence as a witness can be daunting and the court process can be complicated and difficult to understand. The Citizens Advice Witness Service provides free and independent support for both prosecution and defence witnesses in every criminal court in England and Wales.
Citizens Advice Witness Service have specially trained volunteers to provide practical information about the court process as well as emotional support to help witnesses feel more confident when giving evidence.
- provide information about the court process
- show witnesses the courtroom ahead of the trial (called a pre-trial visit)
- be there to talk to in confidence
- accompany witnesses when they give their evidence
- be there to give support on the day of the trial; at verdict and sentencing
- help prepare witnesses who need extra support, this can be at their home or another safe place
- help claim expenses
- work with other agencies to make sure the right support is provided
- refer witnesses to our partners, including local Citizens Advice after the trial for support with other issues