Frequently asked questions about Domestic Abuse

How do I know whether I am in an abusive relationship?

The Women's Aid federation for England has put together an online questionnaire.  It may be useful to you whether you are a man or a woman, and you want to identify whether what you are experiencing is abuse.

What happens if I go into a refuge?

A refuge offers a safe, secure and supportive environment for women fleeing domestic violence and their children.

There are many different sorts of accommodation ranging from flats to shared houses but you always have your own private space and your own key.  There are also communal areas and facilities for children.  You can get advice about housing, benefits, legal questions, health, education and other issues. You will have your own key worker to work with you throughout your stay, who will help you rebuild your life.  When you are ready to move on, there will be help too.

Although the refuge is temporary accommodation you will be able to settle whilst you recover and plans are made to ensure you can return to a safe home in the community. 

What if I want to stay in my own home?

The organisations listed in your area can help you consider your options and make the right choices for your future at your own pace, whilst you stay in your own home.  They can provide practical and emotional support at home or somewhere safe in your community, with an opportunity to meet others who are experiencing similar situations.

Sanctuary schemes help victims of domestic violence stay in their home and feel safe through installing physical security measures.  Every 'sanctuary' is tailored to individual needs and circumstances, and range from fitting new locks and external lighting to creating secure 'sanctuary rooms'.

What is a Forced Marriage?

You have the right to choose who you marry, when you marry or if you marry at all.

Forced marriage is when you face physical pressure to marry (e.g. threats, physical violence or sexual violence) or emotional and psychological pressure (e.g. if you're made to feel like you're bringing shame on your family).

For help, or if you are concerned about a Forced Marriage, you can contact the national Forced Marriage Unit (FMU)

What is abuse?

Abusive behaviour can be:

  • violent (hitting, kicking, slapping)
  • emotional (humiliating and putting you down)
  • sexual (forcing you to do sexual acts you don't want to)

Abusive relationships can start with verbal or emotional abuse and often escalate into physical abuse. Abusive relationships can happen to anyone.

Some warning signs of potential violent and abusive behaviour are:

  • extreme jealousy
  • anger when you want to spend time with your friends
  • isolating you from friends and family
  • trying to control your life (how you dress, who you hang out with and what you say)
  • humiliating you, putting you down
  • threatening to harm you or to self-harm if you leave them
  • demanding to know where you are all the time
  • monitoring your calls and emails, threatening you if you don't respond instantly
  • excessive alcohol drinking and drug use
  • explosive anger
  • using force during an argument
  • blaming others for his/her problems or feelings
  • being verbally abusive
  • threatening behaviour towards others
  • pressuring you to send sexual texts and images of yourself
  • sharing any sexual text and images of you with others

What sort of help is available to victims of domestic abuse?

You don't need to involve the Police to get help.  Please don't suffer in silence - confide in someone you trust and contact one of the support organisations listed in your area. You will be able to talk to someone who understands what you are going through and then get the practical and emotional support you need.

There are a number of Refuges in Sussex which offer emergency and temporary accommodation for women and their children who are experiencing domestic abuse.

There are also many things that can be done to support you in your own home, such as making it more physically secure or to help you move to another address if you want to.