Frequently asked questions about Sexual Abuse

I've just been raped or assaulted - what should I do?

If you decide to report to the police, or if you want a forensic medical examination at the The Saturn Centre, time is an important consideration. If you want forensic evidence to be collected, you should try and go to Crawley Hospital (the Saturn Centre) straight away if you can, or at least within 72 hours of the rape or assault.

There are support services available, even if you decide not to report to the police. They will be able to support you with emotional and practical support.

It happened a long time ago - is there anything I can do?

It doesn't matter how long ago the rape or sexual assault happened,  you can still report it to the police, if you decide to, and you can still access support.

What happens if I report to the Police?

If you contact Sussex Police they aim to carry out a thorough investigation with your welfare and safety as a priority.  They have a team of specially trained officers who will do everything they can to treat you and your family with care and sensitivity throughout any investigation, court proceedings and beyond.

What is the Saturn Centre?

The Saturn Centre provides a range of services to anyone who has been raped or sexually assaulted. Services are available to women or men.

They can provide immediate support, including a forensic medical examination, emergency contraception and emotional support.

You don't have to be referred. All you need to do is ring to make an appointment.

Visit the Saturn Centre's website.

What sort of help is available for victims of sexual abuse?

The main services available are counselling, emotional support, and advocacy services. There are also Independent Sexual Violence Advisors (ISVAs) who provide help to people who have reported to the Police and need support through the Court process. They are available through certain support services.

You can find a local support service by typing in the search box at the top.