Your search for refuge returned 4 local support results and 2 question and answer results. Click the tabs below to see different types of help or advice.
Paws Protect- Cats Protection
0345 260 1280
Line opening hours (Open now)
09:00 to 17:00, Monday to Friday

Paws Protect provides an essential service for people who want to flee domestic abuse. For many victims, leaving abusive relationships is made impossible as they cannot bear to lose their pets or put them at risk. Paws Protect is a free volunteer led fostering service, where cats are cared for until owners have escaped their abusive relationship and resettled away from their abuser

0300 323 9985
Line opening hours (Open now)
09:00 to 17:00, Monday to Friday

RISE is a charity. RISE stands for Refuge, Information, Support and Education. We help and support people in Brighton & Hove and East Sussex affected by violence and abuse. Services include:

  • Refuge accommodation

  • Domestic abuse helpline

  • LGBT* Specialist service

  • Support with criminal or civil proceedings

  • Counselling

  • Support Groups

  • Drop In

  • Individual support and advice

  • Children and Young People's Support

  • Training and education

RISE staff are based at Sussex County Hospital A&E, Brighton Police station and other community venues. You are not alone. You are not to blame. Help and support are available.

What happens if I go into a refuge?

A refuge offers a safe, secure and supportive environment for women fleeing domestic violence and their children.

There are many different sorts of accommodation ranging from flats to shared houses but you always have your own private space and your own key.  There are also communal areas and facilities for children.  You can get advice about housing, benefits, legal questions, health, education and other issues. You will have your own key worker to work with you throughout your stay, who will help you rebuild your life.  When you are ready to move on, there will be help too.

Although the refuge is temporary accommodation you will be able to settle whilst you recover and plans are made to ensure you can return to a safe home in the community. 

What sort of help is available to victims of domestic abuse?

You don't need to involve the Police to get help.  Please don't suffer in silence - confide in someone you trust and contact one of the support organisations listed in your area. You will be able to talk to someone who understands what you are going through and then get the practical and emotional support you need.

There are a number of Refuges in Sussex which offer emergency and temporary accommodation for women and their children who are experiencing domestic abuse.

There are also many things that can be done to support you in your own home, such as making it more physically secure or to help you move to another address if you want to.